November 20, 2014
Walnut Creek Water Treatment Plant Improvements
BAWWA invites you to attend a private tour of the recently completed improvements to the Walnut Creek Water Treatment Plant
EBMUD has improved how they treat and deliver water at the Walnut Creek Water Treatment Plant. These improvements increased the capacity and reliability of water service to meet water demands (115-MGD) through the year 2030. Improvements include:
- Two new 2300-sf, dual-media (anthracite/sand) filters with gravel-less underdrains (nozzle system)
- A new 34-MGD low head pumping plant with two 400-hp vertical turbine pumpsand variable frequency drive motors,
- Two new pumped rapid mix systems
- Improvements to waste stream reclaim systemincluding: two new automatic backwash strainers, a new 60 HP vertical turbine pump, and anew inlet piping for two flocculation basins.
- Tour Option #1 - 4:00 – 4:45, participants check in by 3:45
- Tour Option #2 - 4:50 – 5:35, participants check in by 4:35
General Membership Meeting, Dinner and Water for People Auction
- 5:30pm – “No Host Bar” Social Hour
- 6:30pm – Buffet Dinner featuring: Hefeweizen pork loin with outburst cranberry compote, herb crusted beef tenderloin with wild mushroom sauce, and butternut squash ravioli with sage cream sauce
- 7:30pm – Water for People Auction
REGISTER ONLINE (Fees apply)
- Make check payable to “BAWWA” for the total amount due.
- Mail and/or email completed reservation forms and checks to:
RSVP early. Tours will be limited to 25 people each with two time options. Please wear closed-toe walking shoes and bring ID. No photos of the plant are allowed.
Following the Walnut Creek Water Treatment Plant tour, BAWWA’s General Membership Dinner, Meeting, and annual Water for People auction will take place at the Pyramid Alehouse, 1410 Locust Street, Walnut Creek.
Annual Water for People Auction
Water for People (WFP) is a nonprofit that works with people in developing countries to improve their access to safe drinking water and sanitation. Around the world, 783 million people do not have access to safe drinking water, and over 2.5 billion people lack adequate sanitation facilities. Water for People is working to change those statistics. In 2011, Water For People launched its daring “Everyone, Forever” initiative aimed at making real, sustainable change in the communities where the organization works.
Water For People is dedicated to using donor’s funds wisely, and for the past seven years the organization has received a four-star rating – the highest possible – from the independent evaluator Charity Navigator.
BAWWA has been increasingly successful in raising money for WFP in our annual auction, and having a great time while doing it. We hope to continue the trend this year!
Previous BAWWA Auction Events:
2009 - $800
A successful auction depends on having exciting auction items! Popular items include food baskets, wine, power tools, and electronics. If you have items or services you would like to donate, please contact:
BAWWA Water for People Chairperson
(415) 776-5800 x 304
Photos from the event: